Start-up of 'Zero-Flare' Gbokoda oil field in Nigeria

Apr 16, 1998 02:00 AM

Chevron has begun production from the Gbokoda oil field in the western Niger Delta. Start-up of this significant oil field was achieved through the newly installed facilities at Olero Creek only 2.5 years after the field was discovered.
The Gbokoda field comprises many sizeable oil sands of Tertiary age, one of which is the single largest oil reservoir found by the Chevron/Nigerian National Petroleum Corp. (NNPC) joint venture in its 37 years of operation in Nigeria.
The Gbokoda field will be developed through the extensive use of horizontal well technology. Discovered in 1995, Gbokoda is the second of 4 new fields scheduled to begin production this year under the Chevron-operated joint venture.
The first, Opolo, in offshore Nigeria, came on production in February and is currently producing at 23,000 bpd. Crude oil production from the new Gbokoda field will increase to 40,000 bpd by the end of this year.
"By the year 2000, Gbokoda's output will increase the joint venture's total production by more than 85,000 bpd," said Richard Matzke president of Chevron Overseas.
"This will be a significant contribution towards Chevron's goal of producing an annual average of 600,000 bpd for the joint venture by the year 2000," he said.
George Kirkland, chairman and managing director of Chevron Nigeria, noted that "the Gbokoda project will be the joint venture's first 'Zero-Flare' oil field development in Nigeria." Kirkland pointed out that Gbokoda gas, produced in association with the crude oil, will be processed for commercial use through the Escravos Gas Project, inaugurated in May 1997, as a means to reduce gas flaring and to commercialise this abundant resource.

The Gbokoda field is one of 3 adjacent fields. The Benin River field, brought on production in 1996, currently produces 49,000 bpd. The Dibi field, discovered in 1995 and significantly extended in 1997, will be brought on production later this year. Production from Dibi is expected to reach 65,000 bpd by the year 2000.
Oil and gas production from the three fields are tied into a combination of new and existing facilities, and transported via pipelines to the joint venture's tank farm and export terminal at Escravos. The fields are located in the OML-49 concession, which lies about 125 miles (200 km) south-east of Lagos in the western Niger Delta.
Chevron Nigeria operates the joint venture and participates with a 40 % interest; NNPC holds the remaining 60 %.

Source: not available
Alexander's Commentary

Change of face - change of phase

In the period of July 20 till August 3, 2015, Alexander will be out of the office and the site will not or only irreg

read more ...
« November 2019 »
November
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

Register to announce Your Event

View All Events