Azeri oil production up, gas down

Jan 06, 1999 01:00 AM

The State Oil Company of the Azerbaijanian Republic (SOCAR) announced that it had exceeded the oil production target for 1998. According to the information of the SOCAR economic service, oil output for 1998 was 9,052,200 tonnes -- 52,000 tonnes more than was planned. The growth rate for the production of hydrocarbons was 0.3 % as against 1997.
Oil exports from Azerbaijan grew in 1998 to reach 2.5 mm tonnes, exceeding the figure for 1997 by almost 11 times. The State Oil Company accounts for 20 % of oil exports, while the Azerbaijanian International Operation Company (AIOC), which is developing three contract offshore oil fields, accounts for the remaining 80 %.

At present the Azerbaijanian oil, including the one produced at contract oil fields, is transported in one direction only -- to Novorossiysk. In 1999, however, it will also be delivered to Georgian Supsa on the Black Sea coast. This will be started in the first quarter of 1999.
At the same time, the situation with the production of natural gas is still far from perfect. Despite a special programme for ensuring the growth of gas output, adopted in the first quarter of 1998, SOCAR failed to reach the gas production target.
Gas output in 1998 was 5, 589.5 mm cm -- 600.5 mm cm, or 9.7 %, down as against the planned figure. This makes about half of the domestic demand in natural gas. Gas production has been on the decline for about five years.

Source: not available
Market Research

The International Affairs Institute (IAI) and OCP Policy Center recently launched a new book: The Future of Natural Gas. Markets and Geopolitics.

Cover_242-width

The book is an in-depth analysis of some of the fastest moving gas markets, attempting to define the trends of a resource that will have a decisive role in shaping the global economy and modelling the geopolitical dynamics in the next decades.

Some of the top scholars in the energy sector have contributed to this volume such as Gonzalo Escribano, Director Energy and Climate Change Programme, Elcano Royal Institute, Madrid, Coby van der Linde, Director Clingendael International Energy Programme, The Hague and Houda Ben Jannet Allal, General Director Observatoire Méditerranéen de l’Energie (OME), Paris.

For only €32.50 you have your own copy of The Future of Natural Gas. Markets and Geopolitics. Click here to order now!


 

Upcoming Conferences
« July 2017 »
July
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31

Register to announce Your Event

View All Events