BP Amoco starts second gas processing train at Pascagoula

Nov 05, 1999 01:00 AM

BP Amoco announced the start-up of the second of two natural gas processing trains at the Pascagoula Gas Processing Plant. The plant now has the capacity to process 1 bn cf of natural gas daily, 500 mm cfpd in each of its two trains. BP Amoco operates the plant and holds 60 % interest, with Enterprise Products Partners L.P. of Houston, Texas holding the remaining 40 % interest.
"The Pascagoula Gas Processing Plant is strategically located for BP Amoco and other gas producers in the Gulf of Mexico," said Boyd Anderson, vice president of BP Amoco's natural gas liquids business unit. "We planned for the second train to be available in time to process and market the gas produced from BP Amoco's Marlin field in the deepwater Gulf, which soon starts production. We're very pleased to complete this complex, high-technology project right on schedule."
The plant now is processing more than 600 mm cfpd of natural gas and producing more than 15,000 bpd of natural gas liquids (a mix of ethane, propane, butanes and natural gasoline). Expected production from Marlin ultimately is projected to add an additional 250 mm cfpd.
The Destin Pipeline carries natural gas produced in the Gulf of Mexico directly to the plant, then delivers the processed gas to five interstate pipelines. The pipeline's 36-inch diameter offshore mainline extends 76 miles from Main Pass Block 250 in the Gulf of Mexico to the Pascagoula Gas Processing Plant.
Destin Pipeline is jointly owned by affiliates of Shell, Sonat and BP Amoco.

The Pascagoula plant offers ethane recovery in excess of 80 % and it can recover 98 % of the propane and virtually 100 % of the butane and natural gasoline. At 1 bn cfpd inlet, the plant can produce more than 50,000 bpd of natural gas liquids.
"From day one we committed ourselves to design, build and operate the plant to provide outstanding service to producers in the Gulf of Mexico. Our goal is to be best in class in reliability and operating costs," said plant manager Dick Moritz. "Through a lot of planning and hard work, we've already achieved reliability of more than 98.5 % to the pipeline." The plant design keeps safety, the environment and the community in mind, too.
"To be a better neighbour, we invested more money in the equipment to ensure less noise with virtually no large flaring," added Moritz. "We have quiet electric-drive compressors, and we've installed a High Integrity Pressure Protection System (HIPPS) to minimise, if not prevent, the need for large flares. Such systems are more common in urban areas of Europe, but we believe this is the first HIPPS installed in the United States."

Enterprise Products Partners L.P. is a leading North American midstream energy service company that provides complete processing, fractionation, transportation and storage services to producers and consumers of natural gas liquids and natural gas liquid products.

BP Amoco is an international company involved in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas; refining, marketing, supply and transportation of hydrocarbons; and manufacturing and marketing of petrochemicals and solar power generation.

Source: BP Amoco Corporation
Market Research

The International Affairs Institute (IAI) and OCP Policy Center recently launched a new book: The Future of Natural Gas. Markets and Geopolitics.


The book is an in-depth analysis of some of the fastest moving gas markets, attempting to define the trends of a resource that will have a decisive role in shaping the global economy and modelling the geopolitical dynamics in the next decades.

Some of the top scholars in the energy sector have contributed to this volume such as Gonzalo Escribano, Director Energy and Climate Change Programme, Elcano Royal Institute, Madrid, Coby van der Linde, Director Clingendael International Energy Programme, The Hague and Houda Ben Jannet Allal, General Director Observatoire Méditerranéen de l’Energie (OME), Paris.

For only €32.50 you have your own copy of The Future of Natural Gas. Markets and Geopolitics. Click here to order now!


Upcoming Conferences
« September 2018 »
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Register to announce Your Event

View All Events