Thessaloniki-Skopje oil pipeline inaugurated

Jul 05, 2002 02:00 AM

The new 214-km-long Thessaloniki-Skopje oil pipeline, 70 km of which pass through Greek territory, was inaugurated with two parallel ceremonies at the OKTA refineries in Skopje, in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), and in Kalohori in Thessaloniki on July 2.
In Thessaloniki, the project was jointly inaugurated by FYROM Prime Minister Ljubco Georgievski and Development Minister Akis Tsochadzopoulos. Georgievski said of the project that "a great dream has come true”, adding that the construction of the pipeline is only the beginning of a wide-ranging cooperation between the two countries. "A cooperation which is unbreakable from now on," he stressed.
Tsochadzopoulos also hailed the completion of the project and referred to the two new pipelines for the transportation of ready products being planned by the OKTA refineries. One pipeline will extend from Skopje into Kosovo and the other to south-eastern Serbia.

Deputy Foreign Minister Yiannis Mangriotis represented the Greek government at the inauguration in Skopje, saying the project constitutes a very important Greek investment in FYROM and is proof of the close cooperation developed between the two countries in recent years. "It is known that Greece has always and continues, of course, to adhere to stability and to the development of our region and your country,” Mangriotis said.
He expressed the hope the project will signal the implementation of several similar projects which will consolidate and strengthen bilateral cooperation for the benefit of citizens. On the part of FYROM's government, the inauguration ceremony in Skopje was attended by Transport and Communications Minister Lube Balkovski, Education Minister Nenant Novkovski and Health Minister Georgi Orofcanec.

The project cost $ 110 mm and has an annual crude-oil carrying capacity of 2.5 mm tons. The state-controlled Greek Petroleum company ELPE Balkaniki controls 80 % of the pipeline and the state of FYROM the remaining 20 %.
Construction of the project began in 1999 and it officially began operating on July 2. The pipeline links the OKTA oil refineries, in which ELPE is the majority shareholder, with ELPE's Thessaloniki installations.

Source: Athens News
Market Research

The International Affairs Institute (IAI) and OCP Policy Center recently launched a new book: The Future of Natural Gas. Markets and Geopolitics.


The book is an in-depth analysis of some of the fastest moving gas markets, attempting to define the trends of a resource that will have a decisive role in shaping the global economy and modelling the geopolitical dynamics in the next decades.

Some of the top scholars in the energy sector have contributed to this volume such as Gonzalo Escribano, Director Energy and Climate Change Programme, Elcano Royal Institute, Madrid, Coby van der Linde, Director Clingendael International Energy Programme, The Hague and Houda Ben Jannet Allal, General Director Observatoire Méditerranéen de l’Energie (OME), Paris.

For only €32.50 you have your own copy of The Future of Natural Gas. Markets and Geopolitics. Click here to order now!


Upcoming Conferences
« April 2018 »
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Register to announce Your Event

View All Events