Regional oil pipeline for Rwanda

Sep 18, 2005 02:00 AM

The oil pipeline to be constructed from Kenya to Uganda will finally reach Rwanda. The Commissioner in charge of petroleum, Energy Ministry, Uganda has said the $ 110 mm project will be extended to Rwanda from Kampala.
"Rwanda will initially incur minimal costs when she imports from Uganda, but at a later stage the pipeline will head there (Rwanda)," Ben Twodo said.

Construction of the pipeline from Kenya begins in October 2006 and according to Twodo, twenty six companies have shown interest.
"Several companies have submitted their bids already, and the contract is supposed to be signed by January," he disclosed. The project is under the Uganda-Kenya partnership and both countries own 49 % shares, and the remaining 51 % have been floated to the private sector.

Twodo said the successful bidder will be awarded a concession of 20 years and thereafter Kenya and Uganda will acquire overall ownership. He also said that Rwanda would access the petroleum products cheaply once works on the pipeline are accomplished.
"When the pipeline is built up to Kampala, Rwanda will import the petroleum products from here cheaply. This is a direct route. They will not incur costs like we (Uganda) have been incurring in Kenya. Pilferage, spillage, wear and tear and accidents will all be eliminated," he hinted.

Source: The New Times
Alexander's Commentary

Change of face - change of phase

In the period of July 20 till August 3, 2015, Alexander will be out of the office and the site will not or only irreg

read more ...
« January 2021 »
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Register to announce Your Event

View All Events