Uruguay and Argentina agree to construct LNG regasification terminal

Dec 13, 2007 01:00 AM

The governments of Argentina and Uruguay signed an agreement to jointly build a regasification terminal that will allow them to import 25 mm cmpd of natural gas. The natural gas to be regasified by the terminal could be sourced from any number of exporting countries worldwide, officials said.
The agreement was signed by Argentina’s Planning Minister, Julio de Vido, and Uruguay’s Minister of Energy and Industry, Jorge Lepra.

The regasification terminal will allow Argentina and Uruguay to combat a critical energy situation that has affected both countries. The terminal will have interconnections in both Buenos Aires and Montevideo.
The terminal will require an investment of $ 1.0 bn, according to Uruguay’s Sub-Secretary of Energy and Industry, Martin Ponce of Lion.

According to officials the terminal -- to be located in the Municipality of Bahia Blanca in Buenos Aires -- could be online and ready to accept its first shipments of liquefied natural gas (LNG) by 2009.
Argentina’s stateoil company, Enarsa, with a 51 % working interest and its Venezuelan counterpart, Petroleos de Venezuela (PdVSA), with the remaining 49 % working interest, will jointly own the terminal.

Market Research

The International Affairs Institute (IAI) and OCP Policy Center recently launched a new book: The Future of Natural Gas. Markets and Geopolitics.

Cover_242-width

The book is an in-depth analysis of some of the fastest moving gas markets, attempting to define the trends of a resource that will have a decisive role in shaping the global economy and modelling the geopolitical dynamics in the next decades.

Some of the top scholars in the energy sector have contributed to this volume such as Gonzalo Escribano, Director Energy and Climate Change Programme, Elcano Royal Institute, Madrid, Coby van der Linde, Director Clingendael International Energy Programme, The Hague and Houda Ben Jannet Allal, General Director Observatoire Méditerranéen de l’Energie (OME), Paris.

For only €32.50 you have your own copy of The Future of Natural Gas. Markets and Geopolitics. Click here to order now!


 

Upcoming Conferences
« June 2017 »
June
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

Register to announce Your Event

View All Events