Anadarko finds oil in Ghana again

Jan 19, 2012 12:00 AM

Independent oil and gas producer Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (APC) made another light oil discovery in offshore Ghana.
The Ntomme-2A appraisal well successfully drilled oil in the Deepwater Tano Block and encountered 39 meters of light oil in sandstone reservoirs.

Earlier, in August 2011, Anadarko discovered light oil at the Akasa-1 exploration well on the West Cape Three Points Block offshore Ghana. The offshore well encountered 33 meters of high-quality oil pay from four main Turonian-aged sand packages.
The Ntomme-2A appraisal well, drilled at a total depth of approximately 3,905 meters, encountered about 1,730 meters of water.

Anadarko holds an 18 % working interest in the Deepwater Tano Block. Tullow Oil is the operator with a 49.95 % working interest, and the other partners in the block are Kosmos Energy (18 % working interest), Sabre Oil & Gas Holdings (4.05 % working interest) and the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (10 % carried interest).
Anadarko’s African exploration continues to pay rich dividends to the company.

The company made a successful natural gas discovery offshore Mozambique. The drilling well has encountered 237 meters of natural gas pay in multiple zones.
Ghana has recently gained importance in the international oil and gas production markets. Its proved reserves were much lower than neighbouring Nigeria.

However, international operators are exploring offshore Ghana in search of oil and gas.
On June 8, 2011, Hess Corporation announced the discovery of oil at the Paradise-1 deepwater exploration well offshore Ghana. Hess will be operating the well with a 90 % working interest, while Ghana National Petroleum Corp. (GNPC) will control the remaining 10 %.

International oil and gas operators are investing big money in Africa with a business expansion motive as they believe that both onshore and offshore fields have an abundance of oil and natural gas. If we look at the bigger picture, the petro-dollars, which are coming in these economically weak countries, can be utilized for overall development.
In reality, drilling investments in Africa have actually widened the divide between the haves and the have-nots, with the benefits derived from a national treasure reaped by only a handful.

Ghana has only lately joined the bandwagon of development. We eagerly wait to see whether the country can bring about economic growth riding on its liquid gold assets.
Based in Texas, Anadarko Petroleum is an independent oil and gas company engaged in the acquisition, exploration, and production of oil and gas primarily in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico in the US and in Algeria.

Market Research

The International Affairs Institute (IAI) and OCP Policy Center recently launched a new book: The Future of Natural Gas. Markets and Geopolitics.

Cover_242-width

The book is an in-depth analysis of some of the fastest moving gas markets, attempting to define the trends of a resource that will have a decisive role in shaping the global economy and modelling the geopolitical dynamics in the next decades.

Some of the top scholars in the energy sector have contributed to this volume such as Gonzalo Escribano, Director Energy and Climate Change Programme, Elcano Royal Institute, Madrid, Coby van der Linde, Director Clingendael International Energy Programme, The Hague and Houda Ben Jannet Allal, General Director Observatoire Méditerranéen de l’Energie (OME), Paris.

For only €32.50 you have your own copy of The Future of Natural Gas. Markets and Geopolitics. Click here to order now!


 

Upcoming Conferences
« April 2019 »
April
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30

Register to announce Your Event

View All Events