Amerada Hess discovers oil offshore Equatorial Guinea

Mar 25, 2002 01:00 AM

Amerada Hess Corporation reports that it has made an oil discovery offshore Equatorial Guinea on Block G in the Rio Muni Basin. The discovery, named Elon, was made by the G-8 well and encountered 157 feet of net oil pay. The well was drilled to a total depth of 5,977 feet in approximately 210 feet of water. The G-8 well is located about 15 miles northeast of Amerada Hess' Ceiba Field and 6 miles southeast of the recently announced Akom discovery.
"Importantly, the G-8 well has established an extension of the play fairway into the shallower water portion of the Rio Muni Basin," said Brian Maxted, Amerada Hess' executive in charge of West Africa operations.

Amerada Hess has an 85 % working interest in and is the operator of Block G and adjacent Block F. Amerada Hess' partner in the blocks is Energy Africa of South Africa, which has the remaining 15 % working interest. The government of Equatorial Guinea has a carried 5 % interest in Ceiba Field production and would have a carried 5 % participating interest in any Okume, Oveng, Ebano, Akom and Elon area commercial production.

Amerada Hess, headquartered in New York, is a global integrated energy company engaged in the exploration for and the production, purchase, transportation and sale of crude oil and natural gas, as well as the production and sale of refined petroleum products.

Source: Amerada Hess Corp.
Market Research

The International Affairs Institute (IAI) and OCP Policy Center recently launched a new book: The Future of Natural Gas. Markets and Geopolitics.


The book is an in-depth analysis of some of the fastest moving gas markets, attempting to define the trends of a resource that will have a decisive role in shaping the global economy and modelling the geopolitical dynamics in the next decades.

Some of the top scholars in the energy sector have contributed to this volume such as Gonzalo Escribano, Director Energy and Climate Change Programme, Elcano Royal Institute, Madrid, Coby van der Linde, Director Clingendael International Energy Programme, The Hague and Houda Ben Jannet Allal, General Director Observatoire Méditerranéen de l’Energie (OME), Paris.

For only €32.50 you have your own copy of The Future of Natural Gas. Markets and Geopolitics. Click here to order now!


Upcoming Conferences
« June 2018 »
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

Register to announce Your Event

View All Events