Oman plans to tender five oil blocks in October

Jun 12, 2016 12:00 AM

The Omani government plans to start tendering about five oil blocks sometime in October this year, a senior official at the Ministry of Oil and Gas has told the Times of Oman.

These oil and gas blocks spread in different parts of the country will be awarded, after a tending process, on production sharing basis.

"There are a number of locations. We are evaluating few of them and in October we will go to the market. I would probably say an average of five, but we (may) have more or less, depending on the readiness of data collection and evaluation," Eng. Salim bin Nasser Al Aufi, undersecretary at the Ministry of Oil and Gas, told the daily.

Although these blocks have both oil and gas deposits, these are predominantly oil blocks, the undersecretary said.

Presently, majority state-owned Petroleum Development Oman contributes 68% of Oman's total crude oil production, while the remaining 32% are contributed by national and multinational oil firms.

The average crude oil production target this year is estimated at 990,000 barrels per day, slightly higher than 980,000 barrels per day (bpd) in 2015.

The country's average daily crude oil production in January-February period exceeded this target at 1mn bpd. However, oil production declined in March due to heavy rains, but it recovered to 994,303 bpd the following month.

The government directly or indirectly holds stake in several major oil producing firms, including Occidental Oman, in the Sultanate. As huge investment is required for bringing oil above the ground in view of the peculiar nature of reservoirs in Oman, the government has been encouraging multinational firms to undertake exploration on production sharing basis.

Asked about whether the recent slump in oil prices is affecting attractiveness of multinational firms to invest in Oman, Al Aufi said; "We have to be smart in negotiation. We need to recognise that companies will be using lower oil production forecast when they bid and to be smart enough to accept it today. Also, we have to introduce mechanisms in such a way that we gain from the deal when oil prices go up."

Alexander's Commentary

Change of face - change of phase

In the period of July 20 till August 3, 2015, Alexander will be out of the office and the site will not or only irreg

read more ...
« October 2020 »
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Register to announce Your Event

View All Events